Monday, March 23, 2015

Herps Spring Break Edition: The Green Iguana

   The Green Iguana, Iguana iguana 
 I found this beautiful specimen while roaming around Puerto Rico while on Spring break. I didn't catch the animal because it was large so determining the sex is a little difficult without checking for femoral pores that exist in a line on the undersides of the back legs in both sexes, but are much more pronounced in mature males. I believe this iguana was a male due to its relatively large jowls and large subtympanic scales (those large circular scales on its neck). These reptiles can grow up to 7 feet long and weigh upwards of 18 pounds, this one was about 5 foot in length. The juveniles are generally a brighter green and lose coloration with age as seen with this adult (male?). These iguanas are both arboreal and terrestrial, I spotted a group of 5 all hanging out in a tree one day but had no way of taking a picture. Males reach maturity faster than females and mate in the early dry season of the fall, this is when the males become more aggressive. Normally they are fairly lackadaisical but can exert quick bursts of speed when pursued, as I witnessed while chasing a few around. Dominant males will establish their territory, usually choosing one with ample vegetation (food), basking spots, and females. Reproduction is internal, males having a hemipenes, females will lay their eggs in a nest at a site other than their home base. During my trip I went up to Aguadilla from Rincon and was walking down a remote path where I encountered several large Iguanas. I decided to try my luck and catch one, I approached a large iguana and jumped to reach it thinking it would dart away but instead it held its ground and whipped it's tail at me. I ended up being the scared one and ran off, after that I was content with just observing.