Monday, March 27, 2023

Natural History of Diadophis punctatus (southern ring-necked snake)

I was very excited to come across this southern ring-necked snake in the wild considering they are generally nocturnal. While at work I was outside hosing an enclosure and happened to glance down and notice this snake before I stepped on it, I must have disturbed the leaf litter it was under. Luckily it had no problem with me holding it for a while, but if it did it could have released a foul musk or coiled to show off its brightly colored belly. They are a colubrid snake species part of family Dipsadidae, the non-venomous rear-fanged snakes. They inhabit mostly wooded areas that are moist (which is good for this little snake because the ground was very moist from all the hose water) with lots of rocks and logs for them to hide in to make their dens. They are smooth scaled smaller/slender black snakes with a yellow ring around its neck broken just between the eyes and with an orangish belly. I know it is a southern ring-necked because the northern ring-necked snakes are only found in the northern most region of South Carolina, but more noticeably the ring around its neck is interrupted unlike the complete ring of the northern. I cannot tell the sex based on appearance only but based on size I would say this is a grown adult because they typically get to 10-15 inches. When they need to eat they will swallow small prey whole or immobilize larger prey with a mild venom. 


Southern ring-necked snakes range from the coast to the piedmont regions.



I encountered the snake later in the day where I left it.



I had a little photoshoot for it because it was just so cute.


References:

Field guide and https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-snake-id/snake/ring-necked-snake/

2 comments:

Allison Welch said...

Nice find! Such a cute snake!

Chad Parker said...

What an awesome find, I'm glad you did not step on it! I've yet to find a Diadophis punctatus in the wild, I can't wait to find one and I'm hopeful it's as docile as the individual you found. Great post!