Sunday, March 29, 2020

Costa Rican Herps


                I have dreamed of going to Costa Rica for about a decade, and my visit earlier this month only solidified my love of that country. It is an incredibly biodiverse place, especially the Osa Peninsula where I spent most of my time. I encountered so many amazing creatures from four species of monkeys, endangered tapirs, curious coatis, humpback whales, to various reptiles and amphibians. The lush jungles, rocky beaches, and continuous background of birdsong and howler monkeys set the backdrop for the most amazing trip of my life.
                After a long flight from the U.S. to San Jose, I boarded a tiny plane for a one hour trip to the Osa. From there, another hour on narrow dirt roads and a nerve-wracking river crossing brought me to the tent camp. Hiking into the camp, the first reptile I encountered was a gorgeous little Boa constrictor, Boa constrictor imperator. He was coiled up along a log on the ground getting some sun. We left him where he was found and got settled into a tent along the beach of Drake Bay.
                I grabbed some lunch at the open air dining room, which was interrupted by a visit from spider monkeys and a sloth. A short walk after lunch led me to a Jesus Christ Lizard, Basiliscus vittatus. I would soon find that these interesting lizards are as common as our Carolina anole! The name refers to their ability to “walk on water,” reaching such speeds as they run from potential predators that their upper body lifts up and they move bipedally, with flaps of skin on the hind feet keeping them on the water’s surface.  This is a male, as evidenced by the crest on the head and tail. 

                The following days were filled with too many cool creatures to mention. A green vine snake on the path fled too quickly for pictures, while others, like a little cat-eyed snake were just not amenable. Many amphibians called from the jungle, while these large Bufo marinus invaded the tent camp. It was imperative to have a head lamp, lest you step on ten of them on your way to dinner. A nearby pond teemed with tadpoles, and large spiders attempting to have them for a meal. On the bank, tiny froglet armies fled from my approach. 



                I think my favorite herp find was a large tiger ratsnake, Spilotes pullatus. These are one of the largest South American colubrids, with some reaching over 8ft. They are often called yellow rat snakes, like our local Pantherophis alleghaniensis. Indeed, the similarities do not end there. They are adept at arboreal living, though are often found stretched out on the ground. They are fairly opportunistic, eating mammals, birds, and other herps. This big guy was stretched out along a path that follows the beach, near the mouth of the Rio Claro. Upon noticing me, he quickly and effortlessly scaled the vegetation, coming to rest about 6ft up on some branches. He did not give a threat display, but watched every movement carefully as he slowly went on with his day. While I did not verify the sex, I would guess it was a male just by virtue of his size. This one was over 6ft, easy. 

                There were also many skinks and anoles around, as well as iguana and ctenosaurs. An overall fascinating and exciting trip, but I was disappointed to not encounter any venomous snakes. I suppose it just gives me a good reason to go back as soon as possible! 





2 comments:

Allison Welch said...

Fantastic! It's almost like being there (minus the humidity and mosquitos).

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole,

It's so cool that you were able to ee so many herps on your trip! I think my favorite that you mentioned was the Jesus Christ Lizard. It's crazy to think that they're so common in Costa Rica! I'm wondering, did you get to see any escape from danger?