Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Natural history - Spadefoot toad

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to find a spadefoot toad (Scaphiopus holbrookii) one night after a hard rain. It was found sitting in a crack in the driveway of a house that backs up to a pond. These toads are highly fossorial and are known to only emerge for brief periods after rain to breed. This toad is an adult and I'm guessing a male, based on the loose skin around the throat. I tried looking for nuptial pads on the hands in the pictures I took but couldn't say whether they were present or not. You can see the spades in the hind feet in the pictures, as well as a darkened pelvic patch, which I read is an area of skin that is more permeable to water. I also read that many people have allergic reactions after handling spadefoots, but luckily I was not one of them. I think these frogs are really cute and I hope I find more of them!


1 comment:

Allison Welch said...

What a fortunate find!!!