Monday, May 4, 2015

Natural History: Mediterranean Gecko

While I was watching the NFL draft the other night on campus, I was startled when I saw something small and almost white/clearish run across the floor. I had no idea what it was so I got closer to find out and was very surprised to see this. I have never seen a gekko before so I was really excited to come across it. This is a mediterranean gecko, also known as hemidactylus turcicus.

This species has been introduced to the southeast from parts of Europe and Africa. It has sticky toe pads and bumpy skin. It has little dots across the back and small dark marks throughout its whole body. This Gecko has vertical pupils and lack eyelids. They are nocturnal. They are rarely seen during the day since they are in hiding. They are found in areas that have lots of insects because that it was they eat. They are found in areas that are highly urbanized. They must have been introduced because of human development so it is rare to find one where there isn't a lot of urbanization.

The one I found was tiny. It was maybe two inches long. They usually grow to be 5 or so inches. I did not determine whether is was a male or female because it was trying to get away and I didn't want to hurt it.

I am excited to have found this since I have never seen one before.  I found it while it was dark out, inside the room I was in. It was probably looking for something to eat. Reflecting on this find, I was easily able to identify it because of what I learned in this class, which I thought was pretty cool. I have found that the information I have gained from this class has a lot of applicable use since I seem to come across herps often.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I refuse to believe these are found here until I see one for myself!

Anonymous said...

So cool! I agree with Desaray's comment, but not because I really don't think they exist but mainly because I have been trying to find one since we started learning about geckos and lizards. If you see this little dude again before the final, bring him in so I can see! Such an awesome find!

Allison Welch said...

Great find! Where were you on campus? We used to find them in Rita Hollings, so I wonder if they prefer older buildings.