Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Turtles


I had a little trouble identifying these guys, one is because we have just finished with amphibians and have yet to start on reptiles. With a little help we believe that these turtles are Yellow-bellied slider. Their scientific name is Trachemys scripta scripta. The picture is a little blurry and I'm sorry that my camera is not the best. There were about 10 -12 of these guys all around a pond where I keep my horse. The pond is pretty deep and has trees all around it for them to climb up and sun bathe. It was really windy the day that I was out there but these guys were sunbathing none the less. The turtles are omnivorus, eating things from small fish to aquatic plants. They can live in pretty much rivers, ponds, lakes and anywhere there is plentiful water and food. I hope to see these guys much more often in the summer time and maybe they may let me take a better photo of their good sides.

Rebecca Thorne (Memphis, TN)

No comments: